O is for Occupations


Ancient Egyptians had many of the same occupations that we use today.

Here are a few:

- Farmers - This was a common occupation in ancient Egyptian times. Farmers grew many different crops along the banks of the Nile.

- Craftspeople - There were many craft jobs; carpenters, weavers, jewellers and potters were a few of these.

Taken from here
- Soldiers - Being a soldier in ancient Egyptian times meant rising in society. During peacetime, soldiers would help with government projects such as pyramid building.

- Scribes - These were the only people in ancient Egypt who knew how to read and write. They came from wealthy families and it took years of training for them to learn complex hieroglyphics.

- Priests/Priestesses - These were responsible for temples and holding religious ceremonies.

- Noblemen - Essentially formed the government of ancient Egypt. They helped the Pharaoh to run the country.

- Merchants - It was their job to carry products such as gold, papyrus, rope, linen cloth and jewellery to other countries to exchange for other products.

- Doctors - A much less advanced version of the doctors we have today.

Taken from here
- Tomb Builders - It used to be believed that slaves built the pyramids, but in fact they were built by many thousands of paid workers.


If I lived in ancient Egyptian times, I would have liked to have been a Scribe. What about you?

Comments

  1. I think Scibe for me too, it's about the only one I'd be any good for, I think :). I suppose being a Priestess might be really interesting though.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if the scribes were the only ones who could read, they could've said anything they wanted about the royals. That would've been funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have a cat-keeper at the local temple. If not that, a merchant...the spices of an open air market are intoxicating. Happy A to Z to U!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a scribe, I couldn't do without readings and writing :)
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't want to be a tomb builder. It had a very high turnover rate, especially if you build for the kings (some were buried with them so the inner design of the tomb remained a secret).

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I lived in those times, I would've like to have been a craftsperson, making jewelry and pottery. Or maybe a Scribe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scribe for me!

    Interesting... didn't know the pyramids were built by paid laborers....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura .. I think I'd like to be a doctor - but if not then a jeweller - master craftsman jeweller, then if not a scribe I guess. It's interesting how many types of work there were available and then the minerals needed to be found and dug ...

    I remember about the tomb builders being buried with their kings ... still - they were very interesting times ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have liked to have been a scribe as well. Being a jeweller could be fun too, except I know I don't actually have a talent for that sort of thing. I also couldn't live without reading and writing, so the choice is easy for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a writer, I probably would've like to have been a scribe, too, but I doubt anyone would be able to read my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe Pyramid salesman was popular for a while. I would have been a master stonemason, that sandstone is the ideal material you could even make a sphinx with it if you were so inclined.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I choose scribe! I choose scribe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of their jewelers created beautiful pieces. I think I would love to be an Egyptian jeweler. Definitely not interested in constructing tombs, money or no money.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I could be a noble and run things I'd like to be a craftsman. I wonder if they had any unemployment?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's interesting to speculate how modern skills would translate to the ancient world. What would the computer programmer be in Ancient Egypt? I think I would be a scribe, or a musician. They surely had musicians, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tomb building doesn't sound so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderfully fascinating to have been a scholar back then. But then, I suppose it was all quite normal, and perhaps not as interesting to them as it is to us now. And I didn't know paid workers were used to build the pyramids. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Either a scribe or a craft person. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!