Water

Time for my first regular writing post! All week in my spare time I've been thinking "I must write something for Saturday" but of course, me being me, I left it 'til last minute, so what you're about to read is pretty rushed, but I hope you all like it anyway. I'm also really tired from work, so it may not make a lot of sense! I write better on my days off! Anyway, let me know what you think! :)


Water
Taken from here
She had always loved the feeling of rain on her skin; it made her feel clean and refreshed, and was a welcome relief from the usual heat. Today was one of those days: the heat from the sun was scorching, and it made her daily chores that much more difficult to complete. Her mouth was dry with thirst, and a cloud of dust rose with every step she took, settling on her bare legs.

If only it would rain! She longed for some rain to fall, but that only happened a few times a year, and never during summer. She looked up at the sky, and to her astonishment saw a small grey cloud just above her, which had certainly not been there a moment ago. Just as she made a wish for the cloud to burst and the rain to fall, she felt a drop of water on her face. She gasped in shock as the rain started falling faster and faster, huge drops which soaked her instantly.

She stood in the rain with her eyes closed and held out her arms, relishing the feeling of the cool water on her sunburnt skin. She could feel the water washing away all of the dust that clung to her body, and wished the feeling could last forever. She opened her eyes and looked around her, expecting to see huge puddles everywhere, and was stunned when she realised that the only puddle was around her feet.

The rain stopped abruptly, and the only sound was the gentle drip of water from her body. The dirt underneath her feet was soaked through, squelching slightly as she moved. She moved forward 3 steps and her foot touched solid dirt, which felt like it hadn’t absorbed water in months. Amazed, she looked back to where she had been stood, to see a perfectly round puddle slowly soaking into the earth. Why would it only rain there?

Unless…had she caused it? 

Comments

  1. Ooo, she can make it rain - very cool! I love the feeling of rain on my skin. I rained for several hours yesterday and it was so nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the rain, when it's raining heavily all I want to do is go outside and stand in it! It's been raining here on and off all week, probably where I got the inspiration! :)

      Delete
  2. I also love the rain! Its so cozy to just sit inside with a good book or a movie and something warm and nice to drink and hear the rain hit the window, and the lighting that only rainclouds can make.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of the wonderful things in life :) I like sitting and watching it rain out of the window, while I'm nice and cozy inside :)

      Delete
  3. That is a really good start to a book. Maybe you should consider continuing it.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually took it from a novel idea I have, so I might continue it! :)

      Delete
  4. That was great! I'm intrigued to know more about why it just rained on her alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe I'll do a second instalment if people like this one :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I like the tone of your writing. For me, some parts read like a fabled story, one where you can't wait to find out the outcome.

    It would be great if you did do a second installment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like it :)
      I'll play around this week and see if I can come up with one for next Saturday's writing post :)

      Delete
  6. We don't get much rain here in Lanzarote so I think it's great when we go home to Uk and I get wet!!
    Love the writing style and a truly nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Wow Lanzarote, I bet that's nice even if you miss the rain! :)

      Delete
  7. Nice piece.
    I always thought it would be fun to have that power - to make little rainclouds follow other people and torment them, following them indoors and chasing them around... heh heh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Oh I never thought of it like that! Think of the potential...

      Delete
  8. Nice piece. A story about a rain goddess would be interesting. Withholding it from the arrogant neighbour's garden, drowing out sports events she doesn't like, or just watering her own garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are certainly a lot of uses! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!