New Year Resolutions

I can't believe it's 2014. Happy New Year, everybody!

A new year means new resolutions, but first let's see how I did with those I made last January.

- Stop swearing - I think I've gotten better with my swearing, but I still let the odd word slip every now and then.

- Save money - My goal of saving £50 a month really didn't work out - actually, I only managed to save £80 in the whole year. Appalling, I know. I put this down to bad money management and unexpected expenses. Still, £80 savings is more than I had last year, so that's to be celebrated.

- Read more - Here's one resolution I did really well at - my Goodreads reading challenge goal was to read 50 books, and I managed to read 51 books this year.

- Write more - I didn't quite manage to write every day, but I definitely wrote more in 2013 than I did in 2012.

- Do really well with my Masters - I got my Masters degree with merit, which is a great achievement for me, one that I'm extremely proud of.

- Learn to play the piano - Sadly I had to leave my piano behind when we moved, but I'm hoping to get back into it sometime in the future, even if it means getting a keyboard instead.

- Horseriding - I didn't manage this one either, due to a lack of money and time. 


Four out of seven resolutions, not bad! Hopefully I'll do better this year. Here are my resolutions for 2014:

- Get a new job - Now that I've finished my Masters degree, I think it's about time I tried to find a new job. At the moment I work in a supermarket, and I don't really earn enough to support myself properly. Plus I have to start at 5.00 in the morning 5 days a week, and it really tires you out! Ideally I'd like a job in publishing, but I know it's incredibly hard to get into. 

- Read 65 books - I read 51 books this year while I was doing a Masters degree, so I thought I'd aim higher this year since I should have more time to read. 

- Finish my NaNo novel, Hunted - I'm starting the edits on this in the next couple of days, and I can't wait. It'll be the first time I edit a novel, so it should be an interesting experience. 

- Write at least one short story a month - I wrote a short story collection for my final Masters assignment, and I really enjoyed it. I think they're great for finding your voice and developing writing, so I aim to write one short story a month this year. 

- Participate in NaNo - Either the Camp versions in the summer or the one in November, or both if I get really bored. I love writing a novel in a month, so I wouldn't miss it. 

- Be healthier - I'm fairly healthy most of the time, but I've slipped a little over the last month, what with the move and everything. This year I want to get into the habit of both eating more healthily and exercising more. My mum and I are joining a gym in the next couple of weeks, and I'm feeling optimistic about it. I don't need to lose weight, but I definitely need to get fitter. I don't exercise nearly enough at the minute. 


So, these are my new year resolutions - I'll probably think of more in the next couple of days, but these are the important ones. 

Comments

  1. Five in the morning is awful. Yes, find a better job, Laura.
    Now, go conquer 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the resolutions you achieved last year. Reading 51 books is impressive, I managed 29 with a set goal of 24 so I overachieved with this. I'm setting my target at 35 for this year.

    I'd love to do NaNo properly as well, maybe this year will be my year.

    Here's to a fruitful 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your 2014 resolutions. I hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck! I'm also trying to get a job in publishing but I've only really had luck with unpaid internships and some freelance editing on the side. I'd also love to do NaNo this year! :) Here's to an awesome 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all your dreams and goals come true this year, Laura. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did awesome last year.

    I hope you find your dream job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your Masters! :) I'm planning on doing NaNo again this year - I love writing in a month. I wish I could edit in a month though. I'm the worst at editing.

    I work a retail job and I have a bachelor's. I'd like a better job this year too!

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!