IWSG - November

For anyone who doesn't know, the Insecure Writer's Support Group is a group of writer's who post once a month about their insecurities, and then visit each other to offer help and support.



This month's question is: Win or not, do you usually finish your NaNo project? Have any of them gone on to be published?

Honestly, the only NaNo projects that I have gone on to finish were the ones I was doing as projects for university assignments. 

I've won NaNo a few times, but I've never actually finished the editing process for any of these projects. My most recent win was in July for Camp NaNo, and since finishing the first draft I haven't looked at it once.

I was speaking to a writer friend the other day, and it seems we have the same problem; we both work better to a deadline. Therefore I can win NaNo no problem, because it gives me a word count target and a deadline to hit it by, but I don't do as well on the editing side, because I have no deadlines.

Therefore, I'm going to start setting myself deadlines, and goals for my editing. The biggest issue I'll have with this is actually sticking to them, rather than pushing the deadlines forward (which I'm often guilty of doing). 

So this week, my goal is to print off the manuscript on Friday (when I'll have access to my mum's printer, I really ought to get my own), then read it through on Saturday and begin edits. Those are my goals for now.

If anyone has any tips on how they motivate themselves to work on edits, feel free to share!

Comments

  1. I have to set deadlines and/or goals for my editing, too, and for the same reason. I always find I need that little extra bit of motivation because I hate, hate, hate not accomplishing my goals.

    Best of luck with your edits! May they go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Set those deadlines! I also work best with deadlines. Lazy writer I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree. After reaching your fifty K goal the biggest challenge is setting a deadline and revising so you can get the manuscript published. It is a challenge that you really don't see when you're participating.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Laura - I don't think I could do NaNo ... but equally I'm sure I could if I set a goal ... or two or three ... so go for it - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. If deadlines are crucial to getting work done, then definitely set them. But if you don't think you'll keep them, maybe reward yourself each time you do (with like an icecream Sunday or something), that way you have something to look forward to each time. Just a thought. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deadlines are my everything. Without them, things really drag on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate deadlines. I love deadlines. That sums it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deadlines. Ugh! Does it help to have the character in your head, whining about finishing the edits? Yeah that might work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!