N is for Necropolis

I'm doing flash fiction for this year's A to Z challenge, hope you enjoy!


Necropolis



Necropolis. “City of the dead”. A pretty apt name, if you ask me.
I wander through the city, taking in the familiar sights and sounds. I don’t make eye contact with any of the others here; we prefer to be alone. I stop in front of one of my favourites; a great stone angel, hands held up to the sky. I’ve always wished I had something like this over my grave; a protector, a guardian. All I’ve got is a tiny stone slab, but I’m lucky to have that. Some of the people here don’t have anything to mark the places where they are buried.
I sit next to the angel. It’s up on a hill, so from here I can see the whole cemetery, and everyone in it. A woman walks in the front gate, making her way through the gravestones. She thinks she’s alone, but she’s surrounded. We’re everywhere.

Comments

  1. I get that a feeling I'm being watched whenever I get close to cemetery. They are sort of one step up from a retirement home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide if this is incredibly beautiful or incredibly creepy ... probably both :) Great story.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both beautiful and creepy! I love the word Necropolois. Just has a cool sound to it.

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was sad more than spooky. All those spirits lingering about and stuck there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw the final episode of the KD "Master's Sun" and it's all about ghosts and cemeteries so I feel this one :)
    "Haneen/I Will Never Give you Up (430)"

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a name like that, I can't imagine that tourism is very popular there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are still going strong Miss Laura. . . Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, creepy. Although, I always thought cemeteries were quiet places. The ghosts live elsewhere...

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very atmospheric - eerie and yet weirdly comforting like Sophie Duncan said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminds me of Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! I love cemeteries--so thought-provoking to read the inscriptions and wonder about all these lives past...I think these departed spirits have other more important things to do than hang around their tombstones, but it's a great story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!