K is for King

I'm doing flash fiction for this year's A to Z challenge, hope you enjoy!


King

Next in line to the throne. I’d heard the phrase so often, I hadn’t really thought about what it meant. My whole life, I’ve been looking forward to it; being crowned, being the man in charge. Getting what I want, when I want it. Having an army of people at my beck and call, willing to do anything and everything for me.
I was never going to abuse my power, of course. I was just looking forward to having it. But as it turns out, power has its downsides.
The loneliness, for one. I’m rarely left alone, there’s always at least two guards following me around everywhere I go, and yet I can be surrounded by people and feel completely alone. You would think being the most powerful man in the kingdom would mean no shortage of company.
It’s the opposite: I’ve never felt more alone in my life since becoming King.

Comments

  1. Sad, but understandable. He needs a good queen to help him deal with it all ... or a co-King ...
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. even then men are willing to kill and die for the crown

    http://obliqview.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting insight on an aspect that probably goes unnoticed: That you can be lonely even when you're never alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me thinks you have been speaking to Prince Charles again Miss Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not want to be king.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very insightful. Who does the king call friend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would hate that kind of life. I love my own company - it would drive me crazy having people practically stalking me!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  8. This story in particular hits home with me, I’m a lonely person, I certainly don’t want such huge responsibility on top of it too. Thank you for writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alone in a crowd. Poor dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm. Maybe its not always good to be the king. Mel Brooks got it all wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fab-YOU-lous opportunity to serve you while on earth; I'd also looove to write many novels with you Upstairs! Just a savvy lil' witty ditty on why we ROTE our 22 blogs:

    Faith, hope, and love -
    the greatest of these is love:
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love.
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you.
    God. Bless. You.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!