L is for Lucky

I'm doing flash fiction for this year's A to Z challenge, hope you enjoy!


Lucky



Lucky. That’s what everyone says. That I was lucky. Is it luck? Sure, I survived. I was barely even injured, just a few grazes here and there. I still wouldn’t call it lucky. Is it lucky, that I wake up every night covered in sweat, remembering the details of that dreaded day? Is it lucky that every waking thought is haunted by those who didn’t survive? I see their faces everywhere; at work, at home, at the shopping centre. Wherever I go they’re there, following me, wondering why I survived when they didn’t, just waiting for the day they can claim me as one of them.

I wouldn’t call this lucky. I would call it hell.

Comments

  1. Survivor's guilt - I imagine there is nothing lucky about that. Beautifully written piece.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess calling someone lucky in those circumstances is an automatic response. If only we could see inside their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's got to be a terrible thing to live with. Hard to imagine it. You really captured a sense of desperation here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chilling. Another great FF piece, Laura!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Survivors' guilt. And the difficulty of living with. Very emotionally raw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Done Miss Laura. .. . . . . For various reasons I can relate to your story, these things can be a double edged sword.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's some powerful writing! Nice job! And . . . I gave you a small shout-out today at my blog. http://tyreanswritingspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chilling! This built gradually to the icy conclusion - nicely done :)
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
    FB3X
    Wittegen Press

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really enjoying your flash fiction. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had me on the edge of my seat, Laura! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sometimes being lucky could be difficult to live with

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see that being a hard sort of luck to live with. You'd be torn between being guilty to be alive but also relieved that it wasn't you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!