Awoken

I'm doing flash fiction for this year's A to Z challenge, hope you enjoy!


Awoken:



I approached the old, weathered slab, a cross etched into the stone. I heaved it to one side, panting with the effort. The light from my torch shone on the exposed ground, revealing plenty of dirt but nothing out of the ordinary, but I knew what would be found, buried beneath.

The sound of my shovel digging into the hard ground filled the silent night as I worked slowly, careful not to damage anything that might lie under the soil.

That’s when I saw it; the top of a skull, gleaming in the light of the full moon above. I extracted it carefully, brushing the soil from the eye sockets. I put it to one side, then carefully extricated the rest of the bones, laying them by the skull. When I’d got them all, I stood back and gazed at my discovery. A big part of our sleepy little village’s history, right in front of me.

The bones began to glow, and I backed away, glancing all around to see if someone was shining a light on them, but the glow seemed to be coming from within the bones themselves. The light became so bright I could no longer make them out; suddenly it shot upwards, out of the canopy of the trees, hurtling through the sky like a shooting star.

When I looked back at the ground, the bones had gone.

Comments

  1. Great piece of writing, I could see it all happening. All the best for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have me wondering what your digger has awoken :)

    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
    FB3X
    Wittegen Press

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, now I want to know what happens next! What were the bones? What was the light?
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great piece of flash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Done Miss Laura . . . . . I hate it when I dig up bodies and they do that.

    Rob Z Tobor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, creepy--glowing bones that then become stars? That's what I like to imagine happened anyways. A constellation of bones sounds like a story in its own right.

    Great little story, Laura. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this, all creepy. I wasn't expecting that ending. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesson learned. Don;t dig things up. They will only cause you problems. Better to leave them buried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, eerie and creepy...my favorite kind of story. I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, eerie and creepy...my favorite kind of story. I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great piece! Creepy and well written. Great start for A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  12. But, but, but...where did they go???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creepy! This is a great story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great writing! Very cool! I could have continued reading for hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I guess she set them free by digging them up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yipes!! Waiting to find out what happened! (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool. I can't decide whether it was a miracle or something scary and creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ejoyed that! Thanks for sharing - I'm A-Z Blogger number 596 Leaning On The Gate - and having great fun so far!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant start to the challenge! Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woah! Very intense. Maybe they weren't meant to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whattah..! why how sneaky of you, I want to know the rest of the story Grrr! Great start, looking forward to more flash fiction from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice start to the challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great writing, quite enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh good one! I bet the bones were glad to be un-earthed and returned to where they wanted to go!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love flash fiction. This is a well written piece..loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I loved this. Great description, had me gripped to the end, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was reading your post sitting on the edge... suspense till the end.. it was nice to read...

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is great, Cathy! Can't wait to read more. :-)

    Cherdo
    www.cherdoontheflipside.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gr8 story..wondering what has been awoken

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gr8 story..wondering what has been awoken

    ReplyDelete
  31. Why do I get the feeling that's a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!