Curse

I'm doing flash fiction for this year's A to Z challenge, hope you enjoy!


This one is kind of a follow-on from my A post. 



Curse:


It happened fairly quickly. People started getting ill; they quarantined the entire village, no one could go in or out. Then they started having hallucinations, saying they’d seen a woman in their house, wearing old fashioned clothes and muttering strange things. Then came the animals; cats, toads, owls, clustered around the homes of those who were sick, waiting, watching.

Soon I was the only one who hadn’t been affected by any of this, and I could think of only one reason why: I brought her back. The rest of the village were being punished, even though it was their ancestors who ended her life, so long ago.

I was being spared, as I was the one who had given her life again.

Everyone was cursed, because of me.

Comments

  1. Ooh, that's creepy. It's got the potential to be expanded into a much longer story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear - moving that slab was no such a good idea after all.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your theme, I have given you a shout out from my blog today, enjoy the rest of the challenge https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever but is it them that are cursed because they are ill or is it you that is cursed for thinking you have made them ill. . . . . When I say you, I refer to the you of the story teller not you as in Miss Laura.

    Well Done again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there going to be a way out of it, to end the curse? Will there be a part 3?
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
    FB3X
    Wittegen Press

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goody! goody! I love this one, thank you for continuing with the first story :) can't wait for the next (smiles hopefully)
    "Haneen/I Will Never Give you Up (479)"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess you're not the most popular person in the village! Good story brewing here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I wonder what will happen when they realized why they were being cursed and who caused it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, that's a lot of guilt to handle!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOH, that's so dark and creeptastic! I love it.

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guilt can certainly feel like a curse. Awesome way of depicting it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sins of the father. I don't believe a person should be punished for something their ancestors did but it makes a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love it if you continued this story :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd feel so guilty! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that story - so creepy and yet touching. Good luck on the A-Z, and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, I knew that had to be a bad thing.

    I find the sentinel animals most creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting. The plot thickens...

    ReplyDelete
  18. there is hardly any justice in the world, being punished for the sins of forefathers

    ReplyDelete
  19. A brilliant follow-on from Awoken, this has a lot of potential in it Laura.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!