E is for Escape

I'm doing flash fiction for this year's A to Z challenge, hope you enjoy!



Escape

Just five minutes to go. Stop watching the clock; it’ll just go slower. Ooh, fill out that form, that’ll fill the five minutes, right?
Four minutes. You’ve got to be kidding me. Why does time move so slowly when you’re waiting for something?
I’ll just tidy my desk, it’s a bit messy. Get rid of that crisp packet from lunch, clear away the crumbs. What?! Still four minutes? There we go; down to three.
I feel like I’ve been sat here for 2 hours, not two minutes. Just three minutes then the weekend awaits!
Two minutes. Just two minutes left. Make it look like you’re working, though, don’t want Joe to tattle again.
One minute. The longest minute I’ve ever experienced.
That’s it! Time’s up; I can escape from this nightmare!
At least until Monday.

Comments

  1. I'm like that every day of the week but especially on Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even fake the work anymore on Friday afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I feel this one. I was exactly like this at the end of my shift today - although I started counting down with 30 minutes to go!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember those kind of days. It will pass, Laura - give it time. Oops, time is the problem,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there before! You did an excellent job of portraying a situation we can all relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. That was kind of cruel to post that on Monday. It's a long way from the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds a lot like the end of school too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny, I only ever clock watch when I'm at work and it really makes the time drag. At home I barely even look and the time runs away like nobody's business. It's so unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure everyone can relate to this.

    I laughed when I read Susan's comment. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually have the opposite problem - frantically trying to get everything done so I can get out at a reasonable time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very lucky I only work one day a fortnight which is rather odd because I generally cant remember what I did last time I was in the office. but I still get excited when the day ends and I can return to own world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been here so many times. You've definitely captured the excruciating waiting over so little time.

    Jessica
    2015 A to Z Blogger
    Visions of Other Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've totally had Fridays that have felt like this. You've captured the feeling very well.

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge!
    Hi from Nagzilla bloghopping A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is something we can all relate to :) I do so love the fact I work for myself now so don't have to do this any more.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!