IWSG and What's Up Wednesday

The Insecure Writer's Support Group was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh as a place where writers can talk about their insecurities once a month, and receive encouragement and support from other writers. It's such an amazing group, it even has its own website now, which you can visit here.


Despite many attempts over the last month to get back into writing, I still haven't got much of it done. I'm not letting this get to me, though; I've been really busy at work, plus getting used to living in a house without parents for the first time in my life. Housework takes up a lot of my time on my days off! 

I figure the main problem is time management; I need to make sure I have time for work, housework, writing and of course a little fun time. From Saturday I'm on holiday from work for 9 days, and I plan to use this time to get ahead with both housework and my writing; I've figured out that what I need is a large block of uninterrupted writing time, to really get my head into it again. All I've been able to get lately is an hour here and an hour there, and it's really not enough. 

Next week I'll be making a start on my A to Z challenge posts, plus going back to revisions on my NaNo novel from 2013. I'm confident that once I've made a good start on these, it'll be easier to fit them in around work. 


Now, for What's Up Wednesday! 

What’s Up Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Erin L Funk and Jaime Morrow, and the idea is to let other bloggers know where you are with any writing and reading goals you may have.




1. What I'm Reading

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last night; I really love that book! Chapter 34 (The Forest Again) gets me every time; I was a crying mess by the time I'd finished. I'm always kind of sad when I finish a Harry Potter re-read, though; it means it'll be a while before I'm in that world again. 

On the other hand, I've had a lot of books waiting for me to finish the series so I can read them, and I love reading new books. I just started reading Trouble by Non Pratt. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and I'm enjoying the story so far.

2. What I'm Writing (+ Writing Goal)

Like I said above, I haven't done a great deal of writing this week, but that should change from Saturday. My writing goal this week is to get started on my A to Z posts, and continue with my NaNo revisions.

3. What Works for Me

Being determined to succeed; I know I'll get there eventually, it just might take a while.

4. What Else I've Been Up To

I spent Saturday at my mum's; we didn't really do much, just watched TV and had some lunch, but it was nice just to hang out with her. That's definitely the worst part about moving out; I miss my mum! Luckily we work at the same place too, so I still see her a lot. 

Comments

  1. I think having a solid block of time will really help with your writing. Sit down, have nothing else to do and really focus. You'll get a lot accomplished - guarantee it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mom, we all want our children to go out on their own. But to know we're missed makes it extra wonderful.
    Have fun on your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel much the same way when I finish a Harry Potter reread. I'm always reluctant to pick anything else up right way for fear that it will fall short coming right after that series. Good luck with A to Z and NaNo revisions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Housework does take a lot of time, especially if you're like me and let it pile up. I don't know if I'll attempt A to Z this year. I kind of fizzled out last year and I just don't know if I have it in me to even try this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always find I write best when I have a block of time too. Enjoy your time off and the chance to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you got a good plan when you have the time off from work next week to get some things done. I find it easier for me with working full time to do a bit of house cleaning daily. Keeps things up a bit and doesn't get too overwhelming :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Determination will definitely see you through. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take advantage of those nine days. I think once you get back into the groove, you'll make it a habit again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope those 9 days gives you the push you need to continue. A block of time, like that, always helps me to focus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that chapter in the Deathly Hallows. *cries*

    Hope your time off inspires you to write again! You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never feel like I have enough time in the day to write, but you can do it! :) I'm struggling to pick an idea, but once I get that outlined more, I can write again.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You get there! Hopefully that nine day block of time will get you going, Laura! Treasure that time with your mum. I'd give anything to spend one more Saturday with my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you're super busy to me. Good deal on nine days off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always need large blocks of time to write. I can't concentrate otherwise. I hope you get the hours you want and dive back in. It's also helps if you don't do housework until the dust bunnies are rioting and your shoes are sticking to the kitchen floor. When my house is in a state-of-emergency, then I'll do it. Not before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!