ISWG July

The Insecure Writer's Support Group was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh as a place where writers can talk about their insecurities once a month, and receive encouragement and support from other writers.


This month my insecurities mostly revolve around Camp NaNo, specifically using it to write my dissertation. I'm hoping to get it done by the 19th, which means about 700 words a day. I got 1400 on Monday, since I knew I wouldn't be able to get any writing done yesterday (I went shopping for the holiday, exciting!) so I've had quite a good start. 

I'm trying to just get the first draft down, whether I think it's terrible writing or not, but I still can't help being insecure about it. Wondering whether my ideas are good enough, or whether I can put them across into stories successfully, or whether I'm biting off more than I can chew. 

However, I do know from past experience that my writing doesn't tend to look any good until I go back to revise and edit it, so knowing that makes it easier to just get my thoughts down, ready to edit while I'm away, and throughout August. 

I'm also slightly worried about actually getting it done before I go on holiday, since I'm still doing 35 hours a  week at work and I've got my blogging and everything still to concentrate on, but last year I managed 1600 words a day for Camp NaNo, so 700 is easy, really. I should manage ok :)

Comments

  1. Just write. Edit later. It will be fine!
    After NaNo and BuNo, yes, seven hundred words is much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Alex's 'Just Write!' Would make a great T-Shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like you word count goals. Goals are good... so is the motto "Just Write". Keep up the great work! Yay, holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you're rocking it, Laura! Keep pushing. I'm proud of you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 700 words a day sounds seriously intense but at the same time you're already doing amazing and I hope that you just keep on continuing with it Laura, best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a super manageable goal. I try to clock in at least 1,000 a day, five days a week. If more follows, more power to the count. You'll make it. Just keep it cool - it's hot outside! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to get my words down and come back and revise too. :) Good luck on meeting your goals, 700 is a manageable number, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going Laura, you're doing really well. Worry about the editing later on, get that first draft under your belt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 700 a day sounds do-able. I tend not to set word-count goals because I'll inevitably end up writing more some days than others, but it's good to have something to aim for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're already off to an amazing start. I'm sure you can get it done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you are off to a great start! I know you can do it, Laura....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the 700 a day is an attainable goal. No worries about editing... write, write, write! You will do it and you will make it great! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have a good plan. My first drafts are nothing to brag about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, the MOST important thing is to get it written down. Then worry about revising it to make the idea work. Of curse, I' about the worst person to advise on time management. I spend all mine marketing. UGH!

    ~ Alex's #3 minion

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just remember that it's a first draft. You can revise later, the important part is getting it done and then tweeking it. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely keep writing and save the editing for later. Worked for me in both Camp NaNo and NaNo, each of which produced a book. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck while you work on this! Sounds like you're doing well, so far. Having a specific goal should help you go a long way. And I agree...just write! I always do better when I edit later.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  18. 700 words a day sounds completely realistic. I never edit as I go, it's much better to get the words down and see the shape before you start to refine it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did a camp NaNo last summer. Despite my fears, I accomplished my goal. I agree with Alex, "just write". You can edit later. :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, yes, write now, edit later. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best of luck in completing camp NaNo...and your dissertation. 700 words a day is totally doable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's great to have goals, but remember that they're flexible. Don't break your 'writing back' by being too rigid. Keep on going, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way to go! Keep writing! Believe in yourself. Your ideas are good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Camp Nano's tough. Stay strong. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!