"U Got the Look" Meme!

Heather from Random Interruptions has tagged me in "U Got the Look", thanks Heather! To take part in this I have to go to my current manuscript and find the word "look" and post the surrounding paragraphs, and then tag 5 other writers.
I'm using my Camp Nano novel, which I haven't touched since I finished the first draft on the 31st August, so it's very rough! My first "look" is in the first few paragraphs, which I'll be changing dramatically when I edit, but I'll post them up anyway.


As soon as the sun rose, Alexia got out of bed. She usually stayed in bed as long as she could get away with it, but not today. She’d hardly slept last night because of her excitement and nervousness, and now that it was actually morning, she could finally start getting ready for the most important day of her life so far. Alexia knew she was up far too early, but at least that meant she had a long while to prepare.

Taking advantage of all the extra time she had, Alexia took a long soak in the bath before wandering to the kitchen for breakfast. As she walked past the window, she saw that her brother Amalric was already outside, practising his swordplay. In the anticipation for her big day, she had almost forgotten that tomorrow was a very important day for Amalric. 

Once in the kitchen, Alexia found that Amalric had left a small pot of porridge on the stove, so she helped herself to some and sat at the small table. As she ate her breakfast, she thought about the day ahead. She’d been looking forward to it for years, although her stomach was bubbling with nerves. Alexia was confident, though: she knew exactly what she was going to do, she just hoped it was good enough for her to be chosen.

Taking her bowl to the sink, she tipped in some water from the pot simmering on the stove and washed it carefully. She knew that if she didn’t wash it now, she’d only have to do it later – it was one of Amalric’s rules: if you use it, you wash it. Alexia went back to her bedroom and started brushing her long, dark red hair. She carefully braided it down the sides of her head, and was just wondering what to do next when she heard a knock at the door.

Now for the blogger's I'm going to tag:

Tara Tyler at Tara Tyler Talks
Tamara at One Magic Bean Buyer
Charlie Holmberg at Myself as Written
Krista McLaughlin
Jennifer at A Creative Exercise

Comments

  1. Congratulations on winning the award Laura and I love the job that you did here. It's definitely an interesting concept and in my opinion you pulled it off just perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must ask my unscrupulous young Chinese assistant about this.

    "What do you think Lo"..... "OK"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always write cool stuff. . . .I just write odd stuff.

      I am always nice to all the bloggers that I follow so ..... :)

      Delete
    2. I like your odd writings, though. They certainly brighten my day :)

      Delete
  3. i'm going to use my camp nano wip too! ruff ruff!
    thanks for the tag! i'll get it together & post on my bday! (20th) if not sooner =)
    and i like your snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks, I look forward to seeing yours :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Laura. You left us with a cliffhanger here. I wonder what she is getting ready for??? Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who's at the door? I need to know!

    Thanks for tagging me. Now to go find a section to post for my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's not terribly interesting, just her best friend :P
      You're welcome! I look forward to reading yours :)

      Delete
  6. Never heard of this tag before. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Love getting a look at your work, and thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It got my attention! I am curious what happens next! Sorry for getting back to you so late, but I finally responded to your "tag". Thanks for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!